Be The Change You Wish To See In The World-- Ghandi

Friday, May 13, 2011

Hello Everyone!!

I decided to start a blog in honor of Fish Samaritan House on Youngstown's Southside. First though, I shall tell you a little bit about myself first. My name is Jaime Hughes, I am a 22 year old native of Youngstown and doubt that I will ever leave this place. I am slowly chipping away at YSU where I will graduate with a degree in history then go onto Graduate school for a Library Science Masters degree. I was first introduced to Fish Samaritan as a 2007 Cardinal Mooney senior where our Service class would volunteer their time and energy with the Fish Samaritan family. Years later, I decided that I wanted to continue my service to the community and was voted into the Fish Samaritan Board of Directors in April 2011. Being the youngest board member in the Fish Family I really want to breathe some youthful excitement into the program and all that they do.

Many of you may not be familar with Fish Samaritan and their services. Please, stop down anytime between Monday-Friday from 9am-2:30pm and meet the director of fish, Clarence. He is a really wonderful, passionate man whom is very dedicated to his city and his neighbors. He reflects the vibe and attitude of those involved with Fish Samaritan; positive, hope, compassion, love and dedication. Every worker and person involved wants to do as best as possible to help one another, the organization and the community. I am so honored to be apart of such a wonderful organization.

Anyway, the Fish Samaritan helps in various ways. Spring cleaning? Have extra items you didn't sell at the yard sale? Moving and need to get rid of items? Fish Samaritan will come to you and take any extra items off of your hands!! They find and have a purpose for everything and anything donated. They take in items from clothes, baby items, toys, furniture, household goods and non perishable foods! They reach out to families and individuals that may be struggling and need a small pick me up. In this economy this is extremely important, not only to help one another but continue to do something good as well as caring for one another.

Over the next few weeks (I will post once a week), I will introduce you to people that work for Fish Samaritan, how you can volunteer, events and so on. Stay tuned and remember to love your neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment